Krynica (under the name Krzenycze) already existed before 1547, as evidenced by the privilege of giving villages in this city for Danka from Miastko (today Tylicz). The development of the city at a later date already associated with the discovery in the seventeenth century medicinal value of mineral springs. The beginning of the spa was built "Little House", which from 1804 housed the first bathing establishments. In 1807, Krynica was officially called a "spring were bathing" and started here soon to ordain the first permanent doctor.
The great era of Krynica as a health resort began in 1856, the activities of Joseph Dietl - Jagiellonian University professor considered the father of Polish spas. Already since 1858, used here mud baths, and J. Dietl followers work contributed to the development of the spa. During this period of spa facilities as m.in: Old Mineral Baths, Old Mud Baths, Pump Room Spa House or Home.
The development of the spa also contributed in 1876 to build a railway line to Muszyny, extended in 1911 to Krynica. In the late nineteenth century Krynica was fashionable and elite place to stay and meeting many famous people (visited here, among others.: J. Matejko, A. Grottger, H. Sienkiewicz, JIKraszewski). They stayed here also Solski, H. Modjeska, W. Reymont, KIGałczyński and J. Kiepura, who was the owner of the famous Hotel Patria. For the artist stays in Krynica establishes the annual European Festival them. John Kiepury.
The Theatre of the Larch (which burned down in 1943) performed Solski and H. Modjeska. Krynica is known from the work of folk artist Nikifor called Krynica, whose primitivist painter's work is a real revelation. Nikifor Krynicki (proper name Epifan Drowniak) was a painter primitive inherent in Krynica, which was created here in the 50's and 60's of last century.
Today it is hard to imagine Krynica without those images that adorn the museum in his name, launched in 1995 in the building "Romanówka". After the I-st World War, the Polish authorities took over the resort. Then restored some buildings and built many new, such as New or New Baths Spa House. Built a shelter for Jaworzyna and queue lane of the Parkowa, winter stadium and a toboggan run. Krynica became a center of winter sports, there were, among others, European Championship in luge and for the first time in Poland Championships in hokejuna ice in 1931.
The Second World War interrupted the development of the spa. After the war, there was expansion of the resort, resulting, inter alia, new sanatoria and a natural, pijalnia main concert hall. Krynica has become the biggest spa towns in Poland.